Orthognathic surgery, also known as corrective jaw surgery, is a specialized surgical procedure performed to address a wide range of jaw-related issues, both functional and aesthetic. Orthognathic surgery in India is crucial for individuals experiencing problems with chewing, breathing, facial balance, and even sleep apnoea due to jaw irregularities.
This comprehensive guide explores the intricacies of orthognathic surgery, from its candidates and preparation to surgical techniques, potential complications, and post-operative care.
What Is Orthognathic Surgery?
Orthognathic surgery, also known as jaw surgery, is a corrective procedure performed by oral and maxillofacial surgeons to address significant facial and jaw abnormalities. This surgery aims to correct issues such as misaligned jaws, facial asymmetry, and bite problems that cannot be effectively treated with orthodontic interventions alone.
Orthognathic surgery often involves repositioning the upper jaw (maxilla), lower jaw (mandible), or both, to improve facial harmony, functional bite, and overall oral health. The procedure is typically undertaken in collaboration with orthodontic treatment to achieve optimal results in correcting facial and dental irregularities.
Candidates for Orthognathic Surgery in India
Orthognathic surgery in India is typically recommended for individuals facing various jaw-related challenges, such as:
- Patients with noticeable facial asymmetry, where one side of the face appears larger or smaller than the other, are excellent candidates for orthognathic surgery in India.
- Individuals who have suffered facial trauma resulting in jaw misalignment or deformities can benefit greatly from corrective jaw surgery.
- Some individuals are born with congenital jaw abnormalities that affect their ability to eat, speak, or breathe properly. Orthognathic surgery can correct these defects.
- Patients experiencing difficulty chewing food or a misaligned bite (malocclusion) may require orthognathic surgery to restore normal jaw function.
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders can lead to chronic jaw pain and discomfort. Orthognathic surgery can address TMJ issues and alleviate pain.
- An overly protruding or retruded jaw can affect facial aesthetics and function. Orthognathic surgery can reposition the jaw to achieve a balanced profile.
- Patients with obstructive sleep apnoea or breathing difficulties related to jaw positioning may find relief through orthognathic surgery at an affordable jaw surgery cost in Chennai.
Preparation for Orthognathic Surgery in India
Before undergoing orthognathic surgery in India, patients should follow these essential preparation steps:
- Consultation: Schedule a consultation with an experienced oral and maxillofacial surgeon in India. During this visit, the surgeon will discuss the surgery’s details, potential risks, and benefits.
- Orthodontic Treatment: In many cases, orthodontic treatment is initiated months before the surgery to align the teeth properly. Braces or aligners may be used to prepare the teeth for surgery.
- Diagnostic Tests: The surgeon will prescribe diagnostic tests, including X-rays and 3D CT scans, to evaluate the jaw’s condition thoroughly. Virtual surgical planning (VSP) may be utilized to enhance surgical precision.
- Medical Evaluations: Patients may need to undergo additional medical evaluations to ensure they are fit for surgery.
- Medications and Skin Preparation: The surgeon may recommend certain medications and skin preparations before the procedure to minimize the risk of infection and promote optimal healing.
- Lifestyle Changes: Patients should refrain from taking anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements and should quit smoking to enhance the healing process. Staying well-hydrated is also essential.
- Tooth Extraction: Some individuals may require the removal of impacted wisdom teeth several months before orthognathic surgery.
Orthognathic Surgery Techniques in India
Orthognathic surgery in India encompasses various surgical techniques tailored to each patient’s specific needs. The most common procedures include:
- Maxillary Osteotomy (Upper Jaw Surgery): This procedure corrects upper jaw abnormalities. The surgeon makes incisions inside the mouth, repositions the upper jaw, and secures it with metal plates and screws.
- Mandibular Osteotomy (Lower Jaw Surgery): Lower jaw issues are addressed through this surgery. Similar to maxillary osteotomy, incisions are made inside the mouth, and the lower jaw is repositioned and stabilized with plates and screws.
- Genioplasty: Genioplasty is a cosmetic procedure that reshapes the chin to improve facial harmony. There are two types: sliding genioplasty and chin implant surgery.
- Sliding Genioplasty: The surgeon makes incisions inside the lower gums, repositions the chin bone, and secures it with hardware making the jaw surgery cost in Chennai reasonable.
- Chin Implant: An implant is inserted through small incisions inside the mouth or under the chin to enhance chin projection.
- Jaw TMJ Arthroplasty: This procedure targets TMJ disorders. The surgeon accesses the TMJ capsule through incisions near the ear, repairs or removes damaged tissue, and sutures the incision.
- Arthrocentesis: Another TMJ treatment option involves flushing the joint with sterile saline solution to alleviate inflammation and stiffness.
Potential Complications of Orthognathic Surgery
While orthognathic surgery in India is generally safe, patients should be aware of potential complications, including:
- Infection at the surgical site can occur, although it is relatively rare.
- In some cases, the jaw may fracture during or after surgery, necessitating additional intervention.
- As with any surgical procedure, there is a risk of blood loss during orthognathic surgery.
- It is common to experience pain and swelling following surgery, but these symptoms are typically manageable with medication.
- Occasionally, patients may experience bite problems or jaw misalignment after surgery, which may require further adjustments.
- Some individuals may continue to experience TMJ-related discomfort after surgery performed at a reasonable jaw surgery cost in Chennai.
- In rare cases, the corrected jaw position may shift back to its original state over time.
- Temporary numbness or altered sensation in the jaw area can occur but often resolves over time.
- Dental procedures such as root canals may be required in some cases.
Post-operative Care in India
Recovery following orthognathic surgery in India typically takes six to eight weeks. To promote a smooth healing process, patients should adhere to these post-operative guidelines:
- Proper care of surgical wounds is crucial to prevent infection and facilitate healing.
- Stick to an easy-to-chew diet during the initial recovery period.
- Maintain excellent oral hygiene to prevent complications.
- For the first three weeks post-surgery, refrain from using straws, as sucking motions can disrupt the healing process.
- Avoid strenuous physical activities during the early stages of recovery.
- Be cautious around incision sites, avoiding excessive pressure or motion.
- Follow the surgeon’s recommendations regarding the use of makeup and sun exposure.
Why is orthognathic surgery performed?
Orthognathic surgery, also known as corrective jaw surgery, is performed for several reasons:
1. Correction of Jaw Misalignment: Orthognathic surgery is often done to correct severe misalignment of the jaws, which can affect bite function, speech, and facial aesthetics.
2. Treatment of Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMJ): In cases where TMJ disorders are caused by jaw misalignment, orthognathic surgery may be recommended to alleviate symptoms.
3. Improving Facial Aesthetics: Orthognathic surgery can enhance facial harmony and balance by correcting asymmetry or disproportions in the jaws and facial structures.
4. Addressing Breathing Problems: Severe jaw misalignment can contribute to obstructive sleep apnea and other breathing difficulties, which may be improved with orthognathic surgery.
Orthognathic surgery in India offers advanced techniques and skilled surgeons, making it a popular choice for patients seeking corrective jaw procedures. With state-of-the-art facilities and experienced medical professionals, orthognathic surgery in India ensures optimal outcomes for patients seeking to improve their oral health and facial aesthetics.
Orthognathic surgery in India provides a valuable opportunity for individuals dealing with jaw-related problems to restore functionality, enhance facial aesthetics, and elevate their overall well-being. Expert oral and maxillofacial surgeons, coupled with cutting-edge surgical approaches and thorough pre- and post-operative support, empower patients in India to embark on a transformative journey. This comprehensive solution promises a brighter future, where individuals can regain their confidence and enjoy an improved quality of life
Read also Best Orthodontist in Chennai